Monday, March 17, 2008

One Hour (Cycle Paper)


I had been preparing for March 5, 2008 for over a year now, and the day had finally arrived. Two weeks ago, on March 5 I was to take my road test. Up to that day I had done everything by the book to ensure that I got my license the day I could. I did everything; crossed all my T’s and dotted my I’s.
To get your license you must hold your permit for at least six months, take in class drivers ed, on the road driver’s ed class and complete at least fifty hours of behind the wheel driving before receiving you license. So being the good citizen I am, I made sure I had everything ready for that day. Upon reaching all the requirements, I was ready to rock and roll and get my license. The only thing left to do was take the driving test.
March 5 roles around and my mom and I head down to the DMV in Kaneohe a whole hour before my appointment. We wanted to be sure that nothing went wrong. Ha! Little did we know, that was not how the next hour went. Just like anyone else, I was nervous before the test. With my six months of driving experience I can’t say I’m any good at parallel parking. So I decided I needed to do a little “cramming” before the test. I needed Mom to help me practice parallel parking. We drive around the parking lot for 10 minutes only to find there is nowhere to even practice parking. We gave up. I’d heard from a few of my friends that they didn’t have to parallel park during their road test. Maybe I’d get lucky too.
Forgetting about my parallel parking dilemma, we decided to head in and register so that we were ready when 2:30 came around. We waited anxiously for 15 minutes in the line while the government workers take their time processing everyone’s data. 2:10 roles around and it’s our turn. Mom and I casually cruise up to the plastic wooden counter. We whip out our vehicle registration card and insurance card only to find that the vehicle registration card had expired 8 months ago. I couldn’t believe it! I specifically told my mom to make sure everything was up to date so this wouldn’t happen. All the sudden the clock seemed to tick faster and faster. Now it was 2:15. The crabby government worker told me I could go to Satellite City Hall at Windward Mall and get it renewed, but if I wasn’t back by exactly 2:30 then I’d lose my appointment. So Mom and I race to the car and go as fast as we can to Windward Mall (we didn’t speed, for fear of getting pulled over and that would just be too ironic on the day I’m suppose to get my license). I run up to the second floor of the mall and shove my papers at the old lady behind the desk (thank God there was no line!). I quickly explain my dilemma and she hurries up and gives me the renewed registration form. Its 2:23. Oh, no I’ve got seven minutes until the last six months are ruined.
We made it. We made it back to the DMV with 2 minutes to spare. My mom’s driving is amazing, although I’m sure the tester wouldn’t approve. The ladies tell us to wait outside until our names are called. Still panting from all the excitement, mom and I make it outside. We wait patiently, only to hear my name called through the scratchy voice of the same crabby government worker. Oh, great, just what I need, a crabby old lady who keeps hacking up a storm with her emphysema-like coughs.
With all the stresses of the day, I still wound up passing the test (getting -15, a -16 is a fail) and getting my license, and yes she did make me parallel park...uphill. My last six months of preparing have finally pulled through and now there is a whole new meaning to the word freedom.

No comments: